A bout of continuous sneezing can often leave you breathless and those around you quite annoyed. It is embarrassing to sneeze in the presence of many people, and there is no way you can control or stop a sneeze. However, there are several home remedies for sneezing that will save you a lot of embarrassment. Sneezing is an allergic reaction caused by dust or pollen grains that float around in the air. Even exhaust and toxic industrial gases can cause bouts of sneezing.
Causes &Symptoms of Sneezing
- Causes: Dust particles, pollen grains, exhaust smoke, industrial gases
- Symptoms: Tingling sensation in the nostrils, watery eyes, congestion in the nose
10 Best Home Remedies For Sneezing
Sneezing may be harmless, but it causes acute embarrassment, especial when it occurs in front of many people. While sneezing is involuntary and cannot be controlled, there are several easy home remedies for sneezing that help you handle the situation. Here are the 10 best home remedies for sneezing:
10. Stinging Nettle Herb Tea
- Boil 2 teaspoons of Stinging Nettle leaves (dried) in a glass of water.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes. Strain and add a teaspoon of organic honey.
- Drink the tea twice daily for a week or so.
Stinging nettle is loaded with Vitamins A, C and D and is rich in iron, manganese, potassium and calcium. It is natural astringent and a diuretic as well and has great antihistamine properties that help prevent sneezing. Stinging Nettle tea is an excellent home remedy for sneezing.
Stinging nettle does not have any major side effects. However, prolonged use can cause stomach upsets, fluid retention and diarrhea. It is not recommended for kids under the age of 12.
9. Chamomile Tea
- Boil 2 teaspoons of Chamomile flower powder in a glass of water.
- Allow it to steep for 10 minutes. Add a teaspoon of organic honey.
- Drink the Chamomile tea twice daily for a week.
Chamomile is an excellent herb that has natural antihistamine properties that help control sneezing, and acts as a natural sedative in a mild way. Drinking Chamomile tea regularly helps keep good health and free from bouts of sneezing. Chamomile tea is a great natural home remedy for sneezing.
Chamomile has no known side effects and is quite safe to use. Prior allergies to aster and daisy flowers make people prone to Chamomile allergy as well.
8. Vitamin C Supplementation
- Make fresh lemon juice and drink.
- Eat citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruit.
- Add vegetables rich in Vitamin C in your daily cooking.
Supplementing Vitamin C helps get relief from bouts of sneezing as it is a natural antihistamine that inhibits the production of histamines in the body. While allergens induce sneezing, antihistamines inhibit sneezing. Vitamin C supplementation is a great answer to the question “how to stop sneezing?”
Vitamin C supplementation through citrus fruits has no known side effects. However, citrus fruits are prone to fungus formation hence it is important to ensure the fruits are fresh.
7. Peppermint Oil
- Boil 5-6 drops of Peppermint essential Oil in some water.
- Inhale the vapor arising out of the water.
- Repeat the process twice daily for a few days.
Peppermint oil is one of the essential oils that has a curative effect on allergies and prevents sneezing. Peppermint oil also has good antibacterial properties that helps decongest the airways and keep them free of blocks. Peppermint oil gives the best answer to the question “how to stop sneezing and runny nose?”
While consuming peppermint oil internally may cause heartburns, topical application and inhalation do not have any known side effects.
6. Lavender Oil
- Take a few drops of undiluted Lavender Oil and a ball of surgical cotton.
- Dip the surgical cotton ball in the Lavender Oil.
- Dab the nostrils with the oil dipped cotton ball.
- Repeat the process several times during the day.
Lavender oil is an excellent nasal decongestant and a very good immunity booster as well. Sniffing on Lavender oil vapor helps control bouts of sneezing and clears the congestion in a jiffy. Lavender oil is one of the best natural home remedies for sneezing.
Lavender oil may cause constipation, high blood pressure and insomnia when consumed internally. However, external application or nasal inhalation is quite harmless.
5. Lemon Essential Oil
- Mix 1 teaspoon of Lemon essential oil in a glass of warm water.
- Drink the mixture once daily.
- Lemon essential oil may also be sniffed.
Lemon essential oil has the same effect citrus fruits have and is good to control bouts of sneezing. The oil is rich in Vitamins and minerals and has excellent antioxidant qualities and has a detoxifying effect. Lemon essential oil is one of the best natural home remedies for sneezing.
Lemon essential oil has no known side effects and is quite safe to use.
4. Fresh Ginger
- Take 2 fingers of fresh ginger. Wash, peel and extract the juice.
- Mix the juice with a glass of warm water. Add a teaspoon of honey.
- Drink this ginger juice twice daily.
Ginger is a wonder herb root that has excellent anti-inflammatory properties. It is also a very good analgesic, antioxidant, and has anti-emetic properties as well. The antihistamine properties of ginger help control bouts of sneezing. Ginger is one of the best natural remedies for sneezing.
Ginger is an excellent herb that does not have any side effects. However, people who have stomach ulcers should dilute the ginger juice in plenty of water before consuming.
3. Fenugreek Seeds
- Soak a handful of Fenugreek seeds in water.
- Boil a glass of water and add the soaked seeds.
- Allow this mixture to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and sip this decoction slowly, twice daily.
Fenugreek seeds tend to have a soothing effect on the mucus membrane lining the nostrils and help relieve the irritation and tingling sensation. Moreover, Fenugreek seeds help ease the nasal congestion. They are one of the best natural home remedies for sneezing.
Fenugreek seeds do not have any adverse side effects and are very good for general health as well.
2. Saline Water Rinse
- Mix 1 teaspoon of common salt (sodium chloride) in a glass of warm water.
- Take a small dropper and fill it with the saline solution.
- Squeeze some water into one nostril (tilt your head sideways).
- Allow the saline water to drip out of the other nostril.
- Repeat the process and keep your mouth open (for breathing).
Saline water helps clear the minute dust and dirt particles that manage to get deposited in the nasal passages. Moreover, the warm water has a soothing effect on the mucous membrane which is very tender. Saline water is one of the easiest home remedies for sneezing.
While pouring saline water into the nostrils make sure your mouth is kept open lest water escapes into the trachea or windpipe.
1. Oregano Oil
- Take half a teaspoon of undiluted Oregano Oil.
- Mix it in a glass of fresh fruit juice (orange, grape or apple).
- Drink the mixture twice daily for a week.
Oregano oil has some excellent antiviral and antibacterial properties. It is also a great natural anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal agent and helps by giving relief to the inflamed nasal passages. It is also a great cure for sinusitis. Oregano oil is one of the best natural home remedies for sneezing.
Oregano oil has no known side effects and is quite safe to use
See a doctor immediately if:
- You experience breathlessness
- The bout of sneezing extends for very long periods
- There is high fever
- If the nasal discharge is yellowish or green in color
5 CommentsLeave a Reply
Sneezing That Give Instant Relief !!!!! Oregano Oil Is very helpful :)
Dont want to see doctor hereafter for For Sneezing
Saline Water Rinse , Its very useful
You can try the other remedies too John Kennedy. We are sure those will be helpful too.