Premature gray hair is one of the most common and biggest concerns young adults face these days. It is a condition where the color of the hair strands turn either gray or white, usually in the late 20s & 30s, making a person look very old from his or her actual age; thus, the name premature grey hair.
This happens when the body fails to produce adequate amounts of melanin ( the pigment that gives the hair its color). It might not be a big concern unless you have another underlying medical issue, but it certainly will make you embarrassed. However, there are some home remedies for premature graying of hair, which have been demonstrated to be natural and safe.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Hereditary genes, stress, psychological worries, anxiety, malnutrition, using hot water to wash the hair, unhealthy diet, and anemia.
- Symptoms: Change in hair color (gray or white), particularly above the ears or near the temples.
10 Remedies To Reverse The Signs Of Premature Gray Hair
Though there are many medical treatments to help you get rid of premature hair graying, they certainly pose some serious side effects. Moreover, they are expensive. Instead, go for inexpensive, effective, and natural treatments. Here are a few to make a note of:
10. Curry Leaves and Coconut Oil
- Take a handful of fresh curry leaves and 4 tablespoons of coconut oil (increase the quantity based on your hair length).
- Heat the coconut oil and curry leaves until you see the formation of a dark residue. Allow the mixture to cool and strain it. Apply on the hair.
- Massage and leave for an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo. Repeat the process 3-4 times a week.
- Alternatively, add curry leaves in your everyday diet.
Curry leaves are a good source of vitamin B, beta-carotene, selenium, zinc, copper, iron, magnesium, and calcium – all of which ensure that the melanocytes function properly. The leaves help in restoring the melanin pigment and strengthening the hair follicles. Coconut oil, on the other hand, nourishes and strengthens the hair. In a few days, the remedy helps in preventing gray hairs and treat the existing ones.
There are no side effects of applying a mixture of curry leaves and coconut oil on the scalp. It is 100% safe and natural.
9. Sage and Rosemary
- Take ½ cup of dried sage herb and ½ cup of rosemary. Boil both the ingredients with 2 cups of water for at least 20 – 30 minutes.
- Once cooled, apply it on your premature gray hair. Let it dry. Wash off the hair with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat the procedure once or twice every week for a few months.
Both sage and rosemary are often considered as the sister herbs. Hence, they are one of the best home remedies for premature hair graying combined with hair loss. They not only stimulate the follicles but also promote healthier, shinier, and thicker hair. Sage’s vital compounds include isorosmanol, epirosmanol, atuntzensin A, columbaridione, carnosic acid, miltirone, etc. Rosemary has rosmarinic acid, which is highly beneficial in treating premature graying of hair.
There are no documented side effects of using this herbal mixture topically on the scalp. However, internal consumption (even by accident) can cause stomach ache and digestion problems.
8. Herbal Mix: Fenugreek + Henna + Basil + Coffee + Mint + Yogurt
- Take 2 teaspoons of henna powder, 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds powder, 2 tablespoons mint leaves juice, 2 tablespoons basil leaves juice, 1 tablespoon coffee powder, and 1 teaspoon yogurt. Blend all the ingredients in a mixer with little water to make a fine smooth paste. Leave this paste aside for 3 hours.
- Coat the paste evenly on all hair strands. Concentrate more on the gray hairs.
- Leave the paste for 2-3 hours and then wash off with a mild herbal shampoo.
- Continue the process at least once in every week for a few months.
Henna is a natural dye and has been used in India since ancient times. The compound lawsone is a red-orange molecule, which gives the hair the dark red hue after being applied. Fenugreek, on the other hand, has a compound named diosgenin, which boosts hair thickness and growth. The antiseptic properties of basil prevent scalp infections while menthol in mint leaves improves hair’s texture and yogurt adds a great shine.
Though there are no side effects of using this hair pack, avoid if you just got your hair dyed with synthetic colors because henna reacts badly to chemical hair dyes. Also, pick some other remedy from this list if you have serious scalp allergies, as the menthol in mint and basil will worsen it.
7. Onion Juice
- Take 1 – 2 big, fresh onions based on your hair length.
- Extract the juice and apply on the scalp. Leave for an hour.
- Wash off with a good shampoo and repeat the procedure on alternate days for 3 weeks.
Onion juice is one of the best home remedies for premature greying of hair. Besides having a low melanin production, there are two other reasons for the cause of gray hair – one: hydrogen peroxide buildup in the hair follicles and two: decrease of an antioxidant called catalase. However, the essential compounds in onions help in enhancing the production of catalase, which in turn treats gray hair.
Avoid applying onion juice onto the head if you have scalp allergies as it can worsen the condition. Besides this, internal consumption can be harmful if you are already suffering from bleeding disorders and diabetes.
6. Hibiscus Flower + Coconut Oil + Banyan Roots
- Take the petals of 2 – 3 hibiscus flowers. Discard the stamens.
- Take 2 tablespoons of banyan roots powder and coconut oil based on your hair length.
- Grind all the 3 ingredients in a mixer and apply the paste on your gray hairs and scalp.
- Leave for 1 – 2 hours and wash off. Continue for a few weeks for best results.
Hibiscus flower has multiple benefits. However, when it comes to premature gray hair, the carotene in it treats and prevents it when applied at an early stage while the other nutrients – riboflavin, vitamin C, calcium, and phosphorus promote healthy growth. Banyan roots not only promote darker hair but its natural anti-inflammatory properties heal scalp conditions while coconut oil’s lauric acid & medium-chain fatty acids protect the melanin-producing pigment cells.
There are no reported side effects of applying this remedy on your scalp and hair. However, if you have severe scalp allergies, talk to your doctor.
5. Mugwort Leaves (Artemisia vulgaris)
- Grind some fresh mugwort leaves to a fine paste by mixing adequate amounts of water.
- Apply the paste on the hair and leave for an hour. Wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Continue the process once in every week. Do this for a month or two.
Mugwort is a perennial shrub with angular stems. Besides treating hair loss and grey hairs, it is also used as an herbal medicine for insomnia, tiredness, fever, cold, bruises, gout, and depression. The active compounds in mugwort include ethereal oil (thujone & cineool), flavonoids (quercitine-3-rhamnoglucoside), methoxycoumarine, triterpenoids (dionic acids, b-sitosterol, & b-amyrin).
There are no known side effects of using mugwort externally, but internal consumption can cause miscarriages if you are pregnant.
4. Indian Gooseberry & Sesame Oil
- Extract the juice of some fresh Indian gooseberries (remove the seeds).
- Mix the juice with adequate amounts of sesame oil (quantity varies based on hair length).
- Apply the mixture on the scalp and hair. Leave for an hour or so.
- Wash off with a mild herbal shampoo. Continue the process for a few weeks.
Indian gooseberries are a rich source of vitamin C and other antioxidants, which not only help in the treatment of premature graying of hair by revitalizing the pigments but also promote healthier growth. Sesame oil, on the other hand, has darkening properties, which promotes melanocyte activity and generates more melanin.
There are no known side effects of using this remedy. However, if you have excess hair loss problem or some allergies, talk to your doctor before use.
3. Eclipta Alba + Cumin + Gooseberry
- Based on the hair length, take equal quantities of these herbs in powdered form: Eclipta Alba (False Daisy), cumin powder, and Indian gooseberry powder. Mix all the three and store in an airtight container. Eat 2 mg of this twice a day.
- Continue for a few weeks for best results. You can even use the oil of Eclipta Alba.
The primary compounds of Eclipta Alba that helps in treating premature gray hair include Ecliptine, dimethyl wedelolactone, wedelolactone, eclepitine apigenin, wedelic acid, b-amyrin, luteolin, trithiophene acetylenes, and ascorbic acid. The antimicrobial and antifungal properties in cumin treats scalp infections while gooseberry’s vitamin C, carotene, iron and other essential minerals enhances the melanocyte activity.
If you are healthy, then there is no harm in consuming this mixture. However, avoid if you are suffering from swelling problems, diarrhea, genital itching, cold, bleeding disorders, liver problems, diabetes, stomach, and kidney problems. Also, the remedy can cause side effects if you are exceeding the mentioned dose. Avoid if you are pregnant or breastfeeding a baby.
2. Centella Asiatica And Olive Oil
- Take about 500 ml of fresh juice extracted from Centella Asiatica leaves.
- Mix it with adequate amounts of sesame oil (quantity: based on the hair length).
- Heat both the ingredients until the mixture reaches a wax level.
- Filter it and apply the wax on your head. Leave for 30 minutes. Use for a few weeks.
Centella Asiatica is enriched with saponins and triterpenoids, which gives the herbal plant its therapeutic effects. It also contains flavonoids, amino acids, sterols, lipids, and flavones, which promote better growth and reverse the signs of premature hair graying. Olive oil, on the other hand, has darkening properties and acts as a natural scalp nourisher. Further, it helps in restoring the pH levels of hair follicles, which is exactly when the melanin starts to function efficiently. This is how the two vital hair color pigments – pheomelanin and eumelanin are restored completely.
There are no reported side effects of using this remedy topically. However, if you have scalp allergies or other head problems, talk to your dermatologist.
1. Aloe Vera + Coconut Oil + Fenugreek
- Extract the gel of a freshly cut Aloe Vera leaf. Mix 2 teaspoons of fenugreek powder to it.
- Pour some coconut oil to the mixture and mix properly. Apply this on the scalp and hair.
- Leave it for 45 minutes and wash off with a good shampoo.
- Continue the process for a few days for best results.
Aloe Vera has multiple benefits. It has effective antibacterial and hair darkening properties. Hence, it works effectively on gray as well as white hairs. Further, it nourishes the hair follicles and adds a nice shine. Coconut oil, on the other hand, binds the proteins and retains the moisture. Its restorative properties turn them into black and prevent further graying as well.
The remedy is great and doesn’t pose any side effects unless consumed internally.
See a doctor immediately if:
- You have scalp allergies.
- You lack in certain vitamins. A doctor will be able to guide you on the right diet.
- Your gray hair is accompanied with excess hair loss or baldness. This could be a sign of an underlying medical condition.
7 CommentsLeave a Reply
The 8th remedies is useful. I’ve used it. Now i have seen some changes..
You can also eat Curry leaves for dense growth of hairs..have either in powdered form by adding a teaspoon of this powder with a glass of warm water or take it in the form of juice. the juice will also help you to loose some extra pounds if you are obese!
Curry leaves and coconut oil is a good method to get dark hairs. It tried and got a good results.
Indian gooseberry is the gift for hair.It can solve the problems easily. I have used it. Good result.
Curry leaves and Coconut oil is the best remedy. It works really great.
Look everywhere i can see aloe vera remedy. That is the beauty of that wonderful plant.
Yes James Aloe Vera is a vitamin rich plant