1. Holy Basil With Honey and Salt
Honey: Honey is popular for its amazing taste as well as for its medicinal properties. Honey facilitates every medicine and acts as a base for all kinds of syrup.
Basil: Basil is considered as holy in India and is found in almost all homes. It is also referred to as the holy basil. The distinct red color in the leaves indicates the presence of iron in it. One to two leaves of this holy basil can work wonders.
Salt: The presence of salt is hardly noticed in any food, but its absence is regretted. Salt is a mineral and even though used in a limited proportion, rich and poor need it alike. Salt can also fight infections and bacteria. Warm water and salt are often used to gargle in the case of a sore throat.
To try a remedy using these three ingredients, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Take a teaspoon of honey
- Step 2: Mix it with salt and basil leaves juice.
- Step 3: Consume this mixture to get some relief from an earache.
How Does This Work?
Basil has Eugenol, Sabinene, Myrcene, Limonene, Estragole, Cineole, etc. which work as excellent anti-bacterial components. Salt can also fight bacteria and other infections effectively.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- There are no known side effects of this remedy.
How To Prevent Ear Aches?
- Never dig your ear with any pointed objects or with any objects that are even rounded at the edge. The eardrum in the ear is a sensitive tissue that must not be touched. Ear wax plays an important role in trapping the dust and preventing it from going inside.
- Cotton swabs are the better option to clean your ear.
- However, in the case of swabs, you need to be careful and do not dig them too much inside, as they can furthermore push the wax inside and cause you trouble. The ear-nose-throat passages are connected and so in case you catch a cold, it is likely to hurt your ear because of the extra mucus.
When To See A Doctor?
If the home remedies for earache mentioned above fail to work, know that it is time to consult a doctor. Look for the following signs:
Call The Physician If:
- There is extreme pain, loss of consciousness and hearing loss
- There is high fever as well as stiff neck.
- You notice pain around or behind the child’s ear, redness or swelling and your loved one could not move the muscles on that side of her or his face.
You Should Pay A Visit To The Doctor If:
- Your infant (six months older or younger than one year) is crying because of severe ear pain, and the home remedies do not seem to make any improvement.
- You experience high fever, and you doubt of a severe ear infection inside.
- You fear that the eardrum has burst, and there is a fluid oozing from the ears.
- You have trouble hearing after the duration of six to seven weeks.
- Your earache gets unbearable.
- Your hearing ability is affected completely or even partially.
Natural Remedy vs. Pharmacy
Over-the-counter prescribed medicines for ear pain are Paracetamol or Ibuprofen. However, children below 16 should never be given aspirin (because of Reye’s syndrome). Some of the other popular medicines are Amoxicillin, Azithromycin, and Augmentin.