Otherwise known as zits or spots, pimples can be best described as a bulge on the skin surface. They can occur anywhere in the body while the most common region being “face”. Though there is no particular age or time frame for pimples to arise, they often occur during a person’s teenage. They are normal, and there is nothing to worry unless the case is severe. However, if you wish to see them fade faster, these 15 home remedies for pimples are something you need to try. Before we list them to you, understand a few things.
Note: Health experts forewarn against poking or squeezing of pimples because the infection might worsen, and the healthy skin around can be damaged.
What Causes Pimples?
Pimples can be best summed in words as a normal condition that can affect many people. They are the result of skin inflammation. The reason behind is the sebaceous glands (produce skin oil), which are infected by bacteria. In the course of time, they swell in size and are filled with pus. The major causes of pimples have been explained in detail below:
- Accumulation of Dead Skin Cells: Just like hair, even your skin sheds dead cells. A few of them are attached to the sebum, which causes the skin pores to block. The same pores can cause pimples.
- Pimples Due To Teenage: Teenagers are more prone to pimples because their bodies go through drastic physical changes. The production of oil in sebaceous glands is more, as the body gets prepared for reproduction. The extra sebum is logged in the pores and pimples are formed.
- Growth of Bacteria: The sebum is not the only culprit; even bacteria are in the fray. The name is Propionibacterium acne. Pimples formed by these bacteria can be painful, as they feed on the oil.
- Dairy Products: Having a high quantity of sugar in the diet has been found to cause pimples as well. It is advisable to follow the right diet.
- Makeup: It is well known that the ‘first impression is the best impression’, and the best one is made within seven seconds. You can apply makeup for an entire changeover. However, heavy makeup (if you are allergic to chemicals) can cause pimples in the puberty stages. It is mandatory to remove your makeup before going to bed.
- Stress: During stress, a hormone called adrenalin is produced to handle the situation. The body functions are upset during the period. In fact, stress can be a trigger for pimples.
Where Can Pimples Occur?
The size of the pimples vary. They can occur on the back, face, neck, chest, and shoulders. If you have oily skin, you are more likely to suffer from this ailment. However, this doesn’t mean that people with normal or dry skin cannot be affected.
Symptoms of Pimples
Usually, pimples are noticed as swelling or elevations in different shapes and sizes. They may (or may not) have fluid. The tissues beneath the pimples will be red due to swelling and inflammation. Other parts of the body affected by pimples are back and chest.
15 Best Home Remedies For Pimples
To get rid of pimples, you can try some natural remedies. This not only saves you from side effects but also from money.
Note: For some, simple remedies and common ingredients from kitchen easily work on their pimples. However, the case is not the same for all. Hence, apart from simple home treatments, we thought of listing you some rare herbs and blends as well. On the other hand, if your pimples are severe or they keep occurring frequently, consult a dermatologist for proper care. In such cases, home remedies may not work or the healing time can be too long.
15. Indian Mallow + Sesame Oil + Garlic
Scientifically known as Abutilon indicum, Indian mallow is a woody, erect plant with green-grayish colored leaves. The chances that you have heard about this herb are rare. It grows to a height of 1 ½ meters, whose bright yellow flowers bloom only in the evening. Indian mallow has many uses. It used in the treatment of fever, epilepsy, ulcers, piles, ascaris, abscess, worms, carbuncle, diarrhea, hives, etc. Since it is admired for its natural antibacterial properties, it helps in healing all kinds of external wounds. It treats the inflammation, reduces pain. In fact, it can be even used as a mouthwash for soft gums and toothache.
Sesame oil (also known as gingelly oil) helps the skin from cracking and drying. It nourishes from within. In fact, they are mostly used for massaging. It is extracted from sesame seeds and is widely used in Chinese, Middle Eastern, and Japanese cuisines. Whether it is internal health or external health, sesame has a lot to offer. Right from nourishing your skin and hair to cleaning your internal organs, there is nothing that sesame can’t do. The reason is its natural minerals, vitamins, and compounds. It helps in the treatment of depression, anxiety, bone growth, etc.
Garlic, scientifically known as Allium sativum, has been long known to have therapeutic effects. It is one of the best home remedies for pimples. It banishes those unsightly blemishes much faster. It kills the bacteria that cause an infection. Hence, blending it with Indian mallow leaves could be great.
Besides this, it contains antioxidants that not only benefits your immune system but also helps in eliminating all the toxins from the body. To try a remedy using these three ingredients, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Take a piece of garlic, a few Indian mallow leaves (chopped), and 3 teaspoons of organic sesame oil.
- Step 2: Fry the Indian mallow leaves and garlic in gingerly oil for a few minutes on low heat.
- Step 3: Strain the decoction.
- Step 4: Apply on the pimples and leave it overnight.
- Step 5: Wash off in the morning. Follow this for a few days until your pimples disappear.
How Does This Work?
Indian mallow contains some essential compounds like vitamin A, E, C, terpenoids, phenolics, and flavonoids to heal a skin infection. On the other hand, it’s antifungal, analgesic, and anti-microbial properties help in killing the microbes and fungi that cause the infection.
Sesame oil has an active compound called lignans that help in nourishing the skin deeply. Lignans have unique physiological and chemical properties that are often credited for being the most powerful antioxidant. Also, it acts as a natural sunscreen. It helps in resisting about 30% of ultraviolet rays.
The reason for garlic to act quickly upon pimples and help them heal faster is due to a compound named allicin. Once you eat garlic, your belly digests allicin and then breaks into sulfenic acid (a potent antioxidant). In fact, it is one of the natural sulfurous foods, which are rich in dithiins, sulfoxides, and thiosulphanates.
The Remedy Is Not Good, If:
- You have anxiety problems. Smelling the scents of Indian mallow leaves (while chopping) can worsen it.
- You are allergic to any of these ingredients.
- You are suffering skin rashes. Sesame might worsen it.
- You consume it. The remedy is only for topical application.