Chikungunya is a viral disease that spreads through mosquito bites. It is manifested by extremely high fever, aches in the joints, splitting headaches, chills during evenings, and skin rashes. This is an epidemic that can break out in any geographical area, and is a very debilitating disease, though not fatal. While there are several remedies, there is no cure for Chikungunya. It is important that a person stricken with this dreaded disease seeks intervention so that he or she can get relief from the symptoms. The good news is that there are several effective home remedies for Chikungunya.
Causes & Symptoms
- Causes: Chikungunya is caused by a virus which spreads the Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti mosquitoes.
- Symptoms: Fever, swelling in the joints, joint pain, muscle pain, headache, rashes, nausea/vomiting, fatigue.
10 Best Home Remedies For Chikungunya
Chikungunya normally responds to anti-inflammatory drugs and antipyretics. However, there are several easy home remedies for Chikungunya that are effective, here are the 10 best:
10. Papaya Leaves
- Chop 8 to 10 fresh Papaya leaves to tiny pieces.
- Soak the chopped Papaya leaves in a bowl of water.
- Allow it to sit for an hour or so. Strain & drink 2 tablespoons every 3 hours. Continue the process until the symptoms subside (2 to 3 days).
When a person is stricken with Chikungunya the blood is affected and the platelet count goes down drastically. Drinking Papaya leaf extract helps restore the original count of blood platelets and helps the body recover from the severe infection. Papaya leaves make one of the best home remedies for Chikungunya.
Drinking Papaya leaf extract does not cause any major side effects. However, it can cause skin allergies for people who are sensitive. Exceeding the dosage of Papaya leaf extract can cause stomach irritation.
9. Garlic Paste Poultice
- Take 10 to 12 cloves of fresh garlic. Wash, peel and grind into a fine paste.
- Sprinkle a little bit of water and mix. Apply this paste on the painful joints and forehead.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Repeat the process twice daily for a few days.
Garlic is a herb that has some amazing medicinal properties and has been recommended for treating various maladies. Applying garlic paste on the painful joints helps reduce the pain caused by the infection. It is a great anti-inflammatory agent and an effective antipyretic as well. Garlic is one of the best natural remedies for Chikungunya.
Garlic does not cause any major side effects when applied as a poultice. However, people with sensitive skin beware as it can cause a burning sensation and might cause some damage as well.
8. Turmeric Powder
- Mix 2 teaspoons of Turmeric powder in a glass of warm cow’s milk.
- Drink the Turmeric milk before bedtime. Continue the process for a week or so.
Turmeric is a wonder spice that has some excellent health benefits. It is a natural antiseptic agent and is a good anti-inflammatory agent as well. It also has antibacterial properties and helps heal the infection. The curcumin content found in Turmeric gives it these qualities that help reduce the symptoms of Chikungunya. Turmeric powder is one of the best Chikungunya home remedies.
Turmeric does not cause any side effects and is part of everyday cooking of many cultures across the world. It is a natural curative agent that is quite safe for adults and children.
7. Cayenne Pepper Poultice
- Boil 1-2 teaspoons of Cayenne Pepper powder in some water. Take half a cup of grated beeswax and add it. Stir until the bees wax melts.
- Allow the mixture to cool in a fridge for 15 minutes. Stir the contents and mix them well.
- Store in an airtight container. Apply this poultice on the painful areas. Continue the process for a week.
Cayenne pepper contains a substance known as capsaicin, which is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent that works on the painful areas and helps get relief. Capsaicin has the power to reduce inflammation and block the pain signals going to the brain. Cayenne pepper is one of the best home remedies for Chikungunya.
Applying Cayenne pepper powder as a poultice does not have any major side effects. Care should be taken to prevent any of the poultice accidentally coming in contact with the face or eyes. Moreover, it can cause severe burning sensation on sensitive skin.
6. Green Grapes And Cow’s milk
- Take a bunch of green, seedless grapes and a glass of warm cow’s milk.
- Chew the grapes and wash down with cow’s milk.
- Continue the process for a week or so.
Grapes have amazing antioxidant properties, thanks to the phenolic compounds present in these wonderful fruits that are full of nutritional and medicinal benefits. Moreover, grapes also have antiviral properties that help fight against the infection caused by the Chikungunya virus. Grapes and cow’s milk together make one of the best home remedies for Chikungunya.
Grapes and milk do not cause any adverse side effects. As grapes contain glucose, chronic diabetics should take care and not consume too many grapes at a time.
5. Basil Leaves Tea (Tulsi)
- Boil a bunch of fresh Basil (Tulsi) leaves with 2 glasses of water.
- Steep for 10 minutes. Strain & add a teaspoon of pure honey.
- Drink the concoction 2-3 times daily. Continue the process for a week or so.
Basil is one of the best medicinal herbs that is packed with curative properties that help cure many maladies. Apart from being an effective antioxidant, Basil is also a great anti-inflammatory agent and has good detoxifying properties as well. Drinking Basil tea helps boost the immunity system and fight the infection. Basil is one of the best home remedies for Chikungunya.
Basil leaves do not have any adverse effect and is full of beneficial properties. It is safe for both adults and children.
4. Epsom Salt And Neem Leaves Soak
- Take a cup of Epsom Salt. Add it to your bathwater in a tub. Add a few fresh Neem leaves as well.
- Soak yourself in the warm bath for an hour.
- Repeat the process daily for a week or so.
Epsom salt soak has been recommended for treating various disorders. It has been found to be effective in giving relief from the joint pain caused by Chikungunya. Neem is an excellent antiseptic agent and has amazing curative powers. Epsom salt and Neem soak is one of the best natural home remedies for Chikungunya.
Epsom salt and Neem leaf soak does not cause any adverse side effects. Epsom salt may cause irritation for people with sensitive skin.
3. Tender Coconut Water
- Get a couple of tender coconuts. Cut them and extract the water.
- Drink the water after a meal. Continue the process for a week or so.
Tender coconut water is loaded with minerals such as copper, iron, calcium, sodium, phosphorous, sulphur, potassium and chlorides. It also contains cytokinins like kinetin and trans-zeatin in abundance. Drinking tender coconut water helps detoxify the liver and remove the toxic substances from the system. Tender coconut water is one of the best home remedies for Chikungunya.
Drinking tender coconut water does not cause any side effects and is quite safe.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Take two teaspoons of undiluted apple cider vinegar.
- Mix it with a glass of warm water.
- Drink the mixture daily for a couple of weeks.
Apple cider vinegar is loaded with antioxidants and has amazing anti-inflammatory properties as well. In addition to boosting the immunity levels it also helps the levels of hemoglobin and helps attain a better count of red blood cells which fight against infections. Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for Chikungunya.
Apple cider vinegar does not cause any side effects and has been found to be safe to use by adults and children as well.
1. Giloy Extract
- Get a bottle of therapeutic Giloy capsules.
- Take two capsules daily after each meal.
- Continue the process for a couple of weeks.
Giloy (Tinospora Cordifolia) is a medicinal herb that has been used in the Ayurvedic system of medicine for treating various infectious diseases. Known as Amrita in Sanskrit, which means Ambrosia or food of the gods, the extracts of this herb have been approved by the Food and Drug Administration. Consuming Giloy capsules helps boost the immunity levels and fight against infections like Chikungunya. Giloy is one of the best home remedies for Chikungunya.
Consuming Giloy capsules do not cause any adverse side effects when consumed for a short term. However, during prolonged use, it can cause stomach upsets, and diabetics under medication need to be cautious as Giloy can reduce blood sugar levels.
See a doctor immediately if:
- There is very high fever and it does not subside with medication.
- Blood tests indicate that the red blood cell count is very low.
5 CommentsLeave a Reply
is it by giving tender cocunut ,will it cause the fever and increase the body temperature
will these remedies helps cure chikengunya??
I tried apple cider vinegar, it works well and it is the best remedy for chikungunya .
Does these remedies control chikungunya completely?
As far as we are known it will definitely control chickungunya.